Yesterday I was trying to find a recipe to make Chocolate Mousse without cream or chocolate. We didn’t have any cream, and no chocolate either -but we had Cocoa Powder.
I found a recipe, and I substituted the sour cream for Kefir (Something like a cross between buttermilk and Bulgarian yoghurt) and it set perfectly, but the taste was a bit fermented because of the Kefir. Next time I will either use normal, plain yoghurt, cream or sour cream 🙂 So unfortunately we didn’t eat it, but the recipe is so simple -it takes less than 10 minutes! And everything would have been fine if it wasn’t for that Kefir. Anyhow, the texture was great, so try this recipe!
1 cup nonfat sour cream
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules (Maybe try 2 teaspoons instead of 1 tablespoon, if you are using strong, instant coffee)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. In a bowl of electric mixer beat egg whites 2 minutes or until they’re fluffy and cling to bowl when tilted.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream, sugar, cocoa, coffee and vanilla.
3. Using spatula, fold egg whites (Really gently) into sour cream mixture in 3 batches.
4. Divide among four ramekins. (I put the mousse into glasses)
5. Cover and chill 1 hour in fridge. (No need to cover, though.)